Sunday, January 26, 2014

Starting off on the right foot... or the left.



Alas, I have finally ventured to post for the first time on this blog.  This post has been a work in progress for months now, as it has taken me a while to get over being overwhelmed by an abundance of my own ideas!

But I am embarrassed.

Not only have I not been working out and eating right as I was so inspired to continue, but I have not even been taking care of myself emotionally as I should be either.  That's why my title indicates that I may be starting off on the left foot, if you'll bear with me.

But that's what this blog is about, folks.  It's a journey to being truly well in all the different facets, and being truthful about my struggle to do so. 

--WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FACETS?!--

Let me disclaim boldly and loudly: I am far from perfect!!!  In fact, I probably need these blog more than you do.  It is my genuine hope that you will learn with me through these blog posts.  It is my hope that as I learn through my own writing, I will also tap into something of an intimate cyber accountability club.  It is my hope that you will relate to me in times of woes and mistakes and join me in times of victories and perseverance.

I think the first thing I must do is confess.

So, what are the main risks to completing my journey to wellness in these facets?  Well, let me tell you!-- It is easy for me to create a long list of these dreadful temptations, because it is certainly true that we ourselves are our own worst critics.

1)  I do not get enough sleep.
2)  I give myself too many responsibilities.
3)  I do not plan out my meals.
4)  I go to fast food restaurants in between jobs.
5)  I work too much.
6)  I say "yes" too much.
7)  I worry too much.
8)  I feel guilt too strongly.
9)  I do not work out regularly anymore.
10)  I do not write out my feelings anymore.
11)  I do not pray as often as I should.
12)  I do not clean my room.
13)  I am not organized in many different areas of my life.
14)  I do not carry out big, exciting ideas I have.
15)  I have too much stuff.

The list could seriously go ON and ON.  I am hoping that you can identify with at least ONE of my present risk factors, and I also hope that you continue to visit my blog to see how I turn these risk factors into history.

How can these become history?  Well, they probably won't.  That's just a part of being an imperfect human I guess.  However, I am vowing to find a way to make my life a lot easier, and to protect myself in the process.  I know it will be an overall experience including my emotional, social, spiritual, physical, cognitive, and interpersonal facets.  I will do so by paying better attention to my ever-communicating body.

The human body is a strange, peculiar, and awe-inspiring creation.  There is so much to know about it, but what I have found to be true is that when you take care of it, it takes care of you-- and your many facets.  While there is much to still be discovered and researched regarding the human body (I just saw on msn.com this morning that they just discovered a new ligament in the knee), there is a lot that can be said about the signals that our body gives us directly.  Is your stomach hurting?  That is your body telling you to change some sort of behavior pattern, whether it be worrying less, getting more sleep, eating differently, or working out to become more "regular."

What sorts of lessons has my body taught me through these communications?

1)  Work out more.  When you run, lift weights, and do crunches, you feel more awake, have less headaches, and are less likely to experience IBS symptoms.  You also are less irritable, stressed, sad, apathetic, and can think more clearly.
2)  Drink more water.  Feeling dizzy and tired and experiencing a headache?  Try drinking the basics-- water.  In fact, stop drinking anything but water and a few other healthy beverage options because you are most likely dehydrated!
3)  Stretch!  I am too often a tensed-up, stiff-necked, poor-postured woman!  Increasing my flexibility and loosening up my muscles and joints goes a long way.  It not only helps with soreness and better fitness habits, it also helps me feel better throughout the day-- physically and emotionally!  I feel so much better about myself when I'm standing up straight, feeling limber, and looking life straight in the eye.

Now, these are only the beginning. There are so many other things I could say! 

But they will have to wait for another blog post... ;)
       

No comments:

Post a Comment